- South Africa
- 9 wines
- 4 styles
The first black woman to graduate in winemaking in South Africa is now an award-winning star
- Angels funded the first black woman to graduate in winemaking in South Africa, beating all the odds. And you gave her a shot at making her own wine.
- She works for a super-premium, top drawer, American-owned, no expense spared, mega award-winning winery in South Africa, and you're going to get access to all her talent at a fraction of the cost.
- And with Angel funding (Over $200,000 invested in just 8 hours!), Carmen is branching out and making her own project wines. Just for you!
Carmen Stevens's Story
Carmen Stevens's Story
"I qualified in 1995 from Elsenberg College in South Africa. I started my winemaking career with Stellenbosch Farmer’s Winery. At the end of the year 2000 I was appointed wine maker within the Stellenbosch Vineyards group, as site wine maker for the Welmoed premises.
In 2005 I was appointed wine maker for Amani Vineyards. It was a great moment for me to work for such a prestigious winery. Now to be given the chance to work on my own wines is even greater!
Every vintage comes with its own challenges, and as wine maker you need to adapt and make informed decisions to complement what nature has given you.That is the joy of wine making. Tasting wines from other wine makers in different countries is another pleasure and a means of communication between wine makers, I believe.
The individual attention to each vineyard block as well as the hand picking of all grapes, according to the taste and flavour profile that the berries displays. Then; all red grapes are not only bunch but berry sorted to ensure only the most enticing berries end up in ferment.
The white varietals are also hand picked into 16kg light box loads and bunch sorted under strict protective condition to preserve what was achieved in the vineyard. The attention to detail for each practise performed in the cellar is immense.
Finally, there is an individual evaluation and selection of each barrel to create the final blends, which makes Amani customers loyal followers. I hope to continue this legacy of great wines with my own project too!
I have been very proud to win some great awards along the way as well… without wanting to brag too much, here are some of the highlights!
- Decanter Wine Award 2010 – Gold Award for Amani Chardonnay 2008
- Finalist in Woman Wine maker of the Year 2009 (South Africa)
- Decanter Wine Award 2008: – Regional Trophy Award and International Trophy for Amani Cabernet Franc/Merlot 2006
- Classic Wine Trophy Show (South Africa): - Diamond Award for Amani Chardonnay 2006
I really hope you like the wines I have made...and will love the wines I am working on too.
I cannot wait to get Angel feedback. Please write to me and let me know what you think…
I love wine and love running. I run to burn the calories to drink wine ;-)
I live in Missoula, Montana where I am a retired lawyer/Insurance Company CEO. I love the Naked Wine concept and the camaraderie of the host of angels and angelic winemakers I am getting to know. Good wine, great price and good friends, what more could I ask. I see NakedWines as a supersocial network with benefits;